We are frequently asked “when is the best time to visit Hermanus” and it’s without a doubt a very important question. Hermanus and the surrounding towns of Gansbaai, Stanford and Kleinmond offer highlights all year round; therefore this question will very much depend on whether you are a first time visitor to Hermanus, whether you are returning for a specific reason or season and what it is that you would like to experience while you are on holiday in Hermanus.
It is important to bear in mind that whale, shark and other wildlife sightings can never be guaranteed, however, this is where our local knowledge and expert advice of the seasons, activities and best spots to be come in very handy. We will tailor-make your holiday to fit your personal requirements whether it is a beach holiday, an adventure holiday or a luxurious spa holiday, we will make it happen.
Best time to visit Hermanus
The summer months in Hermanus offer endless days of summer-sunshine, surfing, swimming, outdoor adventure and fun on the beach. If you love the vibrant and magical atmosphere that the summer months bring, crowds and spending Christmas and New Year on the beach, then this the best time to be in Hermanus.
- Family Beach Holidays, swimming, surfing, sea and sand castles
- Romantic Beach Honeymoons, beach picnics, romantic sunsets and quality time
- Adventure Beach Holidays, surfing, sea kayaking and kite surfing
- Adventure Holidays at Grootbos Nature Reserve, nature walks, horse riding, marine and coastal drives and bird watching are available year round
- Golf Holidays
Return Visitors & Easter
This time of year has become a firm favourite amongst return visitors to visit Hermanus. They wait for the crowds of the summer season to subside and they come and enjoy the peace and quiet, champagne air and relax and unwind. March and April offer brilliant weather with sunny days and usually no wind, with May being slightly cooler.
Traditionally, this is also the time of year when wine farmers celebrate the end of the harvest. The region is home to many award-winning wine farms hosting vibrant harvest festivals in celebration of a fruitful season. These festivals take place all over the region at various wine estates offering gourmet food markets, stomping contents, wine tastings, cellar tours and live music.
- Return visitors
- Harvest celebration, wine tastings & tours, food markets & exploring the winelands
- Easter Holidays
- Luxury Spa Holidays
- Golf Holidays
- Romantic Honeymoons
- Country getaways
Perhaps the most popular time of year when visitors from far and wide flock to Hermanus; when the gentle giants of the ocean grace us with their presence and offer abundant opportunities for extraordinary whale watching. Apart from whale watching, spring also brings blossoming fynbos covered mountains, beautiful landscapes and warmer days. Outdoor enthusiasts can satisfy their adrenalin hunger with June, July & August offering the best shark viewing in Gansbaai.
- Whale watching with peak viewing months in September, October & November
- The Fynarts festival takes place in June every year, celebrating art, food, wine & the arrival of the whales
- The annual Whale Festival takes place in September highlighting peak whale watching
- Shark cage diving is offered year round with peak viewing months in June, July & August
- Sea kayaking trips in Walker Bay are offered year round, weather permitting
- Adventure activities such as quad bike riding and zip-lining are offered year round
- Outdoor Adventure Holidays at Grootbos Private Nature Reserve, nature walks, horse riding, marine and coastal drives and bird watching are available year-round.
- Luxury Spa Holidays are available year round
- Wine tastings and tours and exploring the famous wine estates are available year round.
- The months of September, October & November are popular for Golf Holidays.